PDA

View Full Version : Non-violent/magical anime/manga

Windmill
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:10 AM
The .//Hack or whatever its called manga is neat, I've so far read 1.5 books of it :) I can't believe I actually like a manga/anime. I'm considering getting some more than isn't violent/coated in magic. The prince of tennis has good ratings from what I've seen. Has anyone else read it? :) Or do you have any others to suggest?

Red of the Reznors
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:15 AM
haha, how funny, book 1, 2 and 3 are sitting on my sister's computer desk........ but I'm not big on anime/manga :/

Windmill
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:21 AM
Neither, and don't think I ever will be. Dragon ball z killed it. However, I still figure that it has some place, and that it could still very much be enjoyable :) the art style is awesome. I love how anime is drawn. Wish I could draw like that >.>

Red of the Reznors
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:27 AM
haha, everyone seems to like the art style X3

*steals the hack mangas from my sister...* :shift:

Lel
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:44 AM
Setting a standard based on Dragon Ball Z is like basing the whole of the music industry off of a Brittany Spear's album.

But uhm... as for non-violent/non-magical anime?

Normally I'd suggest a lot of Hyao Myazaki, who makes wonderful family films, but his films do contain a lot of 'magic' (more fairtale type magic though).

Uhm...

Slice Of Life animes could be your thing, but they're quite heavy on the cultural side so some jokes may be lost.

Azumanga Daoih
Yotsubato
Fruits Basket (which has kind of magic-not really...)

Uhm...

This is hard.

~Lel-Kun

Windmill
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:49 AM
Some isn't so bad. Fairy tale type of stuff... unless its like Spirited away. Dang it! Watched it, I can't figure out why its so good! It seemed to drag a lot! There'd be huge periods of... silence..... O___O unless I missed something that made it really awesome.

Lel
Nov. 6, 2005, 02:56 AM
Yeah this is pretty much impossible.

Once you get rid of magic and violence, then that leaves mostly stuff like comedy and romance.

Comedy's tend to be heavy on cultural jokes, so they're really hard for newcomers.

Romance... uhm, not sure what your view on that is but there is quite a lot of Boy/Boy love romance.

Then there's stuff that I just know you wouldn't like.

~Lel-Kun

Windmill
Nov. 6, 2005, 03:03 AM
Well the romance is quite likely mushy. But yet, I really really liked the movie the pride and the prejudice, which absolutely shocked me. As long as you feel for the characters and wish to make them happy (and obviously the only way they'll be happy is if they get together) then it can still work, even if it is quite mushy.

Although, yeah, see, thats why I'm looking into a bit of sports anime :)

I heard chiobts or whatever it is (they have cat like ears I think... I think it means they're aliens) would be good too o.O

Red of the Reznors
Nov. 6, 2005, 03:08 AM
eh, I've read most of the mangas and watched all of chobits, it was alright, but again, I'm not much of an anime person XP
(less then you are I'm sure)

Lel
Nov. 6, 2005, 03:22 AM
There's quite a bit of quasi-sexual content/innuendo in Chobits.

I'm not sure how you would react to that.

~Lel-Kun

Dark Nayru
Nov. 6, 2005, 09:10 AM
"X Day" has a darker tone, but absolutely no magic, and what little violence is in it (which is very surprising, considering what it's about) is mostly domestic abuse and is not glorified.

Windmill
Nov. 7, 2005, 04:17 AM
There's quite a bit of quasi-sexual content/innuendo in Chobits.

I'm not sure how you would react to that.

~Lel-Kun
Thanks for the heads up :)

"X Day" has a darker tone, but absolutely no magic, and what little violence is in it (which is very surprising, considering what it's about) is mostly domestic abuse and is not glorified.
Okay, I'll check it out thanks ^_^

Masterofpsi
Nov. 9, 2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah, Lel is right, you'd probably like Miyazaki. Not Princess Mononoke, unfortunately, which is one of his best, but still violent at parts. Miyazaki has magic, but not like s-CRY-ed type magic.

Also, I'd say that you'd like Fooly Cooly, except that it has more than just sexual innuendo in it. Hmm . . . Evangelion is sort of violent (there's fighting, but mostly just between machines), but that's not what it's about.

Lel
Nov. 9, 2005, 06:20 PM
No to FLCL and Evangelion.

If Windmill is abstaining from games with magic in them, then something like FLCL is just too much.

Evangelion is also extremely gory. Remember the episode where Eva-01 went berserk on Eva-04? Yeah. Afterwards Toji had no limbs.

~Lel-Kun

Masterofpsi
Nov. 9, 2005, 06:23 PM
No to FLCL and Evangelion.

If Windmill is abstaining from games with magic in them, then something like FLCL is just too much.

Evangelion is also extremely gory.* Remember the episode where Eva-01 went berserk on Eva-04?* Yeah.* Afterwards Toji had no limbs.

~Lel-Kun

FLCL doesn't have magic. Or anything gory.

And no, I don't remember that episode. I haven't actually seen the whole series.

Hmm. Bebop? No, there are gunfights in it.

Does His/Her Circumstances have anything in it?

Lel
Nov. 9, 2005, 06:40 PM
FLCL doesn't need magic nor gore for it to be inappropriate. It has lots of blatant sexual innuendo. Lots.

And NGE is extremely gorey. If you need an example, then watch the movie. Unit 02 is decapitated, limbs ripped off, detailed intestines hanging out, with bits and pieces of brain with an eyeball in it. Yeah, it's gorey.

Cowboy Bebop is good, but I don't know if Windmill would like it.

Kare Kano is a good suggestion.

~Lel-Kun

Goddess Din
Nov. 11, 2005, 06:54 PM
But it's a bit too mushy at the beginning, but I wouldn't know since I have only read the manga....then it gets better. :teehee:

So yeah, that's a good option! Another great anime that doesn't have fantasy and is not gory at all is Spiral, how I loved that anime. It has tons of logic to put your brain into, it requires tons of patience to see it though, to get it all and truly enjoy it. I don't remember if there's blood though, but it's not "ZOMGLAJKLAJSK" violent, just beware, the manga continues the story so what you see isn't the true ending. T.T

Keropium
Nov. 12, 2005, 03:42 PM
Hah.

Lel
Nov. 12, 2005, 03:43 PM
But it's a bit too mushy at the beginning, but I wouldn't know since I have only read the manga....then it gets better.* :teehee:

So yeah, that's a good option! Another great anime that doesn't have fantasy and is not gory at all is Spiral, how I loved that anime. It has tons of logic* to put your brain into, it requires tons of patience to see it though, to get it all and truly enjoy it. I don't remember if there's blood though, but it's not "ZOMGLAJKLAJSK" violent, just beware, the manga continues the story so what you see isn't the true ending. T.T

The manga has some pretty cool gorey scenes.

~Lel-Kun

Goddess Din
Nov. 17, 2005, 07:58 PM
But it's a bit too mushy at the beginning, but I wouldn't know since I have only read the manga....then it gets better.* :teehee:

So yeah, that's a good option! Another great anime that doesn't have fantasy and is not gory at all is Spiral, how I loved that anime. It has tons of logic* to put your brain into, it requires tons of patience to see it though, to get it all and truly enjoy it. I don't remember if there's blood though, but it's not "ZOMGLAJKLAJSK" violent, just beware, the manga continues the story so what you see isn't the true ending. T.T

The manga has some pretty cool gorey scenes.

~Lel-Kun

The manga does, NOT the anime though.

Even so...if you mind violence too much you might end up missing some great stuff, like Angel Sanctuary, the Kenshin OVAS and Yami no Matsuei.

ZC
Nov. 22, 2005, 11:17 PM
The .//Hack or whatever its called manga is neat, I've so far read 1.5 books of it :) I can't believe I actually like a manga/anime. I'm considering getting some more than isn't violent/coated in magic. The prince of tennis has good ratings from what I've seen. Has anyone else read it? :) Or do you have any others to suggest?

When I was obsessed with reading every manga in the school library I read Prince of Tennis #1, it was alright.

pink
Nov. 23, 2005, 11:06 PM
Lel mentioned fruits baskets, which is really cute, but stay away from it if you don't like melodrama. :ph34r:

Masterofpsi
Nov. 23, 2005, 11:23 PM
I saw a few episodes of Paranoia Agent recently, and it was . . . weird. At first, it seemed like some cute kiddy show, and then . . . it wasn't. Kind of interesting.

Lel
Nov. 24, 2005, 01:12 AM
Paranoia Agent... cute kiddy show

Rofl.

But yeah, sports manga are good to check into... I guess.

~Lel-Kun

Masterofpsi
Nov. 24, 2005, 01:14 AM

[color=blue]Rofl.

Shaddup. The first one I saw was the second episode.

pink
Nov. 24, 2005, 07:49 PM

[color=blue]Rofl.

Ichi!
That episode is really good. :teehee:

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (Kare Kano) is really lightheared (the manga) until you get to about the tenth issue. Then they get all dramatic and romantic and dark. I mean, I really like it, but it's a pretty big turn around in the manga's storyline.

Goddess Din
Nov. 29, 2005, 01:30 PM

[color=blue]Rofl.

Ichi!

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (Kare Kano) is really lightheared (the manga) until you get to about the tenth issue. Then they get all dramatic and romantic and dark. I mean, I really like it, but it's a pretty big turn around in the manga's storyline.

Oh shoot, I am in the 10th volume now. :blink:

pink
Nov. 29, 2005, 09:21 PM

[color=blue]Rofl.

Ichi!

Oh shoot, I am in the 10th volume now.* :blink:

Well, I think it's ten.
Are you into the "ARIMA STORYLINE" yet?
Where he's all obsessed with his darkside and rants on like an emo boy about it? :teehee:

Goddess Din
Nov. 30, 2005, 12:13 PM

[color=blue]Rofl.

Ichi!

Oh shoot, I am in the 10th volume now.* :blink:

Well, I think it's ten.
Are you into the "ARIMA STORYLINE" yet?
Where he's all obsessed with his darkside and rants on like an emo boy about it? :teehee:

He's ranting all right, and he looks a bit creepy at times. :shift: Where did that cute Arima of the 1st volume went? :weak: So far they are in the school trip to Kyoto.

pink
Dec. 1, 2005, 08:40 PM
Awww, the Kyoto trip. :teehee:
They HOLD HANDS! Why this is so taboo after they've had sex is BEYOND ME!
Oh yeah, and Arima calls Yukino "Miyazawa" and she's all, "Awww, call me Yukino, hot boy. We don't have to be so formal, we're not in school, sex muffin. ;D <3 "

And he goes all blush-y and is like, "Uhh okay yu-yukino."

Not exactly to that extent, but sure. :teehee:

Goddess Din
Dec. 2, 2005, 01:05 PM
But it seems like evil-Arima had a rest, he didn't go jealous-crazy this time. :shift: But yeah, why the hell did they keep calling each other by their last names?! They had sex already! XP Still, did you get the metaphor of small Arima and Yukino smiling or was that the weirdest censor ever?

Next volume is Kazuma and Tsubasa's story, I can't wait!!! I love the side stories of all the characters, they are so sweet and great insights of their personalities, the one of Yukino's parents was so cute.

pink
Dec. 4, 2005, 06:48 PM
But it seems like evil-Arima had a rest, he didn't go jealous-crazy this time.* :shift: But yeah, why the hell did they keep calling each other by their last names?! They had sex already! XP Still, did you get the metaphor of small Arima and Yukino smiling or was that the weirdest censor ever?

Next volume is Kazuma and Tsubasa's story, I can't wait!!! I love the side stories of all the characters, they are so sweet and great insights of their personalities, the one of Yukino's parents was so cute.

OMG! I love those two issues! They make me love yin & yang more than life. :ph34r: