Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > General Area > General Chat

Old Mar. 28, 2012, 05:36 AM   #101
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

Send a message via Yahoo to Niroht
Default Re: ZP Dorf Fortress II: Electric Boogaloo!

Actually working on a separate fortress in between turns. It's quite well organized with an underground reservoir fed from a swamp with frequent rain and a well above it, as well as properly irrigated underground farms. Not so much on the defense yet but that's because I found a sizable vein of magnetite so imma test the rumor that a weapon trap with ten serrated discs is a spray painter.
Old Apr. 9, 2012, 02:59 AM   #102
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

Progress? You have till Wednesday until symuun picks up from last save.
Old Apr. 9, 2012, 03:57 AM   #103
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Triforce Legend

Send a message via MSN to Poe the Great

I haven't been able to make it for over two months without losing horribly or crashing.
Poe phrased his law thusly: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake it for the genuine article."
Poe the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 9, 2012, 03:59 AM   #104
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

Hm. Would you like Symuun or my to take over and give it a go?
Old Apr. 9, 2012, 04:20 AM   #105
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Triforce Legend

I'll give it a few more tries.
Poe phrased his law thusly: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake it for the genuine article."
Old Apr. 10, 2012, 04:41 AM   #106
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

So, what do you do when migrations give you far more dorfs than you're able to do with and the whole fortress is constantly thirsty and complaining about stagnant water? Clearly you drain the stagnant pool that feeds the moat into an underground reservoir and mildly flood the fortress in the process, creating good thoughts about waterfalls, in order to make a reservoir with a pump and waterwheel so it will circulate the water to avoid stagnancy and power itself.
Old Apr. 10, 2012, 05:05 AM   #107
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

"Urist McThirsty has been quite content of late. He had a wonderful bath recently. He admired a masterful Dwarven Perpetual Motion Machine recently. He has complained of the lack of booze."

/\Punisher makes awesome banners./\
symuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 10, 2012, 03:36 PM   #108
Ben
Half a gangster
Platinum Triforce Legend

Urist McThirsty complaining about the lack of booze, what else is new amirite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageofFire View Post
I hope your community rots along with it's rotten users.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 11, 2012, 07:55 AM   #109
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Triforce Legend

Yeah, fort unsaveable, guys.

No food, no booze, no beds, no nothing. What the hell am I supposed to do with 30 immigrants other than starving them to tantrum?
Old Apr. 11, 2012, 09:59 PM   #110
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

Symuun, would you like to give it a go?
Old Apr. 12, 2012, 02:19 AM   #111
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

I can try, I guess. Or we can wait a little bit longer for the next release and start a new fort with MINECARTS.

Old Apr. 12, 2012, 03:14 AM   #112
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

Yeah, this one was poorly done anyway. Here, Imma upload my current one that I've been fiddling with. I've been bored with it lately so by all means have Fun. You'll notice that the mineshaft is a little hectic. That's because I still haven't quite got the hang of a straight shaft and keep accidentally trapping my legendary miners and not being sure where their roadblock is before they die.

http://www.mediafire.com/?p7wvugd3gzbcfbk
Old Apr. 12, 2012, 04:13 AM   #113
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

I'll muck about with it for a while and see what happens.

Old Apr. 12, 2012, 06:36 AM   #114
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Triforce Legend

You should mine the shit out of that lignite instead of engraving it.
Old Apr. 12, 2012, 01:27 PM   #115
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

There's another vein deeper down and my fortress needs to have a glorious entry hall made off the finest engraved stone.
Old Apr. 25, 2012, 01:46 AM   #116
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

So I happened upon some Honey Badgers in adventure mode. I attacked them immediately as I do everything that moves. I was very disappointed in that they seemed to have quite a few ****s to give. DF Honey Badgers are clearly not hardcore enough.
Old Apr. 25, 2012, 03:30 AM   #117
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

You've clearly not dealt with them in Fortress Mode. Honey badgers are the ungodly heirs to carp and elephants.

Old Apr. 25, 2012, 03:50 AM   #118
Niroht
Pokemon Monk
Triforce of Wisdom

I'm pretty sure my army shredded some. I don't actually remember if it was adventure or fortress mode; it was a while ago.
Old May. 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #119
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Triforce Legend

You lazy bastards will get a one-year old fort from me when I am next done making one.
Old May. 7, 2012, 05:37 PM   #120
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Triforce Legend

The Logbook of Dastotôsed

15th Granite, Year 1

We have begun establishment of our new outpost within the southern shrublands. Our initial surveys into the soil have proven promising. We have located several veins of limonite within the top layer, which consists of chert and kaolinite, which will allow us to forge proper weapons. As soon as we find a source of flux stone, we can proceed to set up our steel industry and produce the necessary good required for defense before getting started on any other industries.

The surrounding lands are entirely flat, and covered in snow and ice during winter. We have therefore decided to defend the main entrance to our outpost by constructing a sizeable bailey around it; a wall and a ditch to prevent easy access to our drawbridge when it is raised. This should make flooding the ditch unnecessary, and provide sufficient defense for the years to come.

Excavation of basic halls beneath the surface is well underway. We have planned out our sleeping quarters on the thirteenth level, with the confidence that they will prove to be both comfortable and free from misfortune.

1st Limestone, Year 1

We are almost finished establishing the basic rooms for our living establishments.

Both our subterranean and surface farms are built. A protective wall is planned around the surface farm to protect it against attackers.

The bailey is almost complete. We have moved all temporary surface facilities into the rooms below, and access to our fort is now only possible across two drawbridges.

We have built a bridge across the river, to allow passage to immigrants arriving in the few months in summer that the ice thaws.

We have dug out a small meeting hall and a sizeable food storage above our housing level. The meeting hall is designed in such a fashion that expanding it will not require rearrangement of any furniture.

We have established a workshop level with four quarters, each appointed to a specific industry - northwest, the furniture industry, southwest, the metal industry, northeast the food industry, southeast all other workshops. Above it is our main storage chamber.

We have not found any flux stone so far, so as soon as our forges are built and operable, we will begin producing armaments out of iron.

There are only a few months left before we are greeted by the new year. We hope to have most of the work done by then, upon which we will be able to get our weapons industry running at full speed, and our military established.

25th Opal, Year 1

Our architects had devised a clever way for us to establish a water source. As the local water is frozen solid the entire year, save in high summer, to get a supply of water, it is necessary to create a cistern inside the fort.

How then, to get the water in there? Rather than establishing a complex pumping network, which involves severe risk of flooding and other mishaps, we decided to work things differently.

We mined out one of the pools near our fort, and took the chunks of ice into our fort. There, we dumped them into a shallow pit as though it were a garbage dump.

One level above the pit, we then built a well, that would reach down into the pit where the ice was dumped, which would eventually melt, and provide water for our well.

Due to the complex spatial quantum mechanics of the garbage dumping system, however, this system eventually proved to be inoperable. The well could not pull up any water, even though it was located directly beneath it.

A notable phenomenon was that the water, rather than, upon the ice melting, flowing out into the cisterm, remained confined to the space it had originally been dumped in. This was most peculiar. The high pressure appears to have later caused it to evaporate.

To prevent contamination of the general populace's minds with these rather confusing facts, we have decided to wall off the experiment zone indefinitely.

1st Granite, Year 2

There appears to be something wrong with our drink supply. Our clerk indicates that our stock is large aplenty, but apparently several dwarves have taken to drinking from pots straight at the distillery.

It also seems these have been the same dwarves for the past few months, but I may be mistaken.

Our storage room is well underway to start housing our new armaments. Production of traps and weapons should begin as swiftly as possible.