Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > General Area > General Chat

Old Aug. 27, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
SZF2001
Banned
Hero

Default I can't drive with my parents.

Let's take a look at what happens when I drive with my teacher - he says I'm an excellent driver, I've overcome bad habits I picked up from my parents (completely stopping at a red light, staying the speed limit, etc), he basically says I'm going to pass the test with flying colors. Even today, doing the Highway/Passing test, never been around driving at 60 or 70, he says I did a great job, one of the best students he's had.

Now let's go a little forward to earlier today. My dad is driving with my, of course, I'm driving, I see someone on the cross walk ahead of me, my instinct is to slow down. My foot is heading for the brake, plenty of time to make a nice stop, when my dad bursts, freaking out a little, rising in tone, "Dude, slow down, stop!" alright, no big deal, I'm already going for it. My foot is basically on the brake. But I didn't do it in the instant he wanted me to, apparently I didn't have enough time (even though me and the instructor have covered that over and over again). So I just slam on the brakes, freaking out, and he jumps forward a little in his seat - yea, he get's pissed off because he isn't wearing his seatbelt. What a crock of ****.

Frustrated, I continue down the road. I'm going into the school for football practice, and _like I'm supposed to_ I check my blind spots before turning in. He starts freaking out again. "WHY ARE YOU TURNING YOUR HEAD? OMG OMG", something to that extent. So I end up basically thinking "**** it" and just make a wide turn on into the school. Then I haul ass, even with kids crossing. I didn't care. I was pissed.

So now he's going to talk to my instructor, demanding how I get away with this "barbaric driving". **** him. I'm taking my test tomorrow, I'll wave my license in his face, and I'll buy my own mother ****ing car. If I ever drive his car again and he makes me feel discomfort (I don't mind tips and him calmly telling me what to do, but God damn, he's just putting me in a bad position) I'll pull that ****ing car to the side, hop out, and tell him to drive my ass around since he does it so ****ing good (still doesn't come to complete stops at stop signs, btw, which pisses me off because he ****s around with me when I just do what he does) or I'll just walk it.

God damn it all. He better not ruin this, again, this chance for me to get a license. This is why I didn't do it two years ago - I waited until I was 18 so I could just go and get it done, not requiring his "parent hours" crap.

/anger
SZF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Rich Hobo
Handsome Prophet
Hero

Default Re: I can't drive with my parents.

Wow. I thought My parents were annoying. (sometimes) dude, that sux
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
bored_1
In Memory of Fatso
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to bored_1 Send a message via MSN to bored_1

Tell him.
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Rich Hobo
Handsome Prophet
Hero

Am I supposed to be insulted?
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Priestess of Farore
BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
Triforce of Wisdom

whenever I drive with my mom, even now that I've had my license for about a year, I'm always twice as bad a driver as I usually am. I think it's just a parent freak-out thing that they do, either because they honestly believe you're such a bad driver that you're going to kill them or they just can't accept that you're old enough to drive a car and think something is bound to go wrong. the sooner you can get your license and prove that you're a better driver without them and, in fact, a really quite good driver, the better.
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

If any *****es try to tell me how to drive when I'm behind the wheel, they get a big mouthful of the back of my hand.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 09:44 PM   #7
bored_1
In Memory of Fatso
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to bored_1 Send a message via MSN to bored_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hobo View Post
Am I supposed to be insulted?
Wait, what? WTF are you talking about?

I was telling SZF to tell his dad, not you to [something awesome that I edited out because of over-awesomeness... I'm serious].
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Rachael
Confirmed Botnet
Triforce Legend

Ugh, I hate driving with my parents, especially when I'm driving my dad's car. He acts like I'm going to wreck the damn thing, despite the fact that he's wrecked more cars than I have.

typos = posting from my phone and i'm too lazy to fix them
Rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Gatsby the Glorious
Suntory Time
Gold Legend

I read this topic title as " I can't drive with my pants."

I think I'm going to drive to Taco Bell pantsless tomorrow.(However since it's my first try I'll only go through the drive through.
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 10:19 PM   #10
SZF2001
Banned
Hero

I tried telling him... He just blew **** out his ass and made me look like I was the guy blowing **** out his ass.

I'm so pissed. I've been walking around town ever since that last post, trying to get my nerve back and not be so angry, I walk in the house and my parents demand to know where I am. Well, I distinctly telling my mother I was going out for a walk. Even my little sister heard me. ****ing bull**** **** **** god damn, I just wanted to get into my room but they have to be all sensitive and **** and ask if I was alright. The reason I got out of the house was to get away from them in the first place... Then they demand all this ****, and they only focus on the part where I turned into the school at 30 MPH. I couldn't concentrate around him, he was to busy telling me how much I sucked and whatnot, so at that point I didn't give a ****. I didn't even bother bringing up the "STOP BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE!" crap he gave me - seriously, I was going to, and I had plenty of time to ****ing stop a block away. He made it seem like I had to stop the whole mother ****ing block away from the cross walk on the other side of the block.

**** this day. **** it right straight in the ****ing ass.

EDIT: I mean, really, he should have told me to stop behind the cross walk in the first place, not the "yellow line". I thought he was high or something, I knew I was supposed to stop behind the crosswalk, I thought he was seeing **** and telling me to stop in front of a yellow line in the middle of the road - you know the lines, the ones right before stop signs. That my dad never bothers to stop at. Mother ****.
Old Aug. 27, 2007, 11:03 PM   #11
BoMB-bOmB
Topic Killer
Knight

Wow that's pretty bad. What type of car is it? I had to learn how to drive in a forty-year old Bronco that couldn't go past 40. But atleast now I can drive anything.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><
Proud Member of the Tingle Hater's Club!

http://s9.bitefight.org/bite/uebersicht.php?web_redirected=1
Go here! If your brave enough...
BoMB-bOmB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 12:31 AM   #12
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Kao

I remember how my parents would be when I was first learning to drive... Sometimes they'd clutch the inner door handle for support or something, and they'd always try to hit the invisible break pedal on their side of the car ;P

It's funny, though, because now that I've been driving for a while, sometimes I try going for the invisible break pedal too when I'm riding in the car with them driving XD

SZF, I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. But I think you should just try to put up with it, and let it slide. I know how frustrating and annoying it can be to have your parents tell you to do things when driving with you when you were already planning to do those things anyway. It can be extremely annoying to have someone freak out about something you know is being handled, that you already have anticipated. And I know it can be upsetting and sort of insulting, because it can feel like your parents don't trust your judgement enough to know that you already know what to do.

But really, you're just going to have to stick it out and not let it get to you. As annoying as it is, it's not something to get as upset over as you are. They're trying to help, and you have to realize they can't hear your thoughts, and they don't know that you already have those things on the road already figured out.

I imagine it must be very difficult for a parent to ride along with their kid when they're first getting their license. You're a new driver, much younger than them, and they don't know all the things you've been taught by your instructor already, so they don't know how advanced your understanding of driving is at this point... so it's understandable that they're going to freak out at some things, even when you know they don't need to. Just try not to let it get to you so much.
Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 12:50 AM   #13
SZF2001
Banned
Hero

I've calmed down. They just had to drag it through the night... I'll apologize or something tomorrow.
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 06:09 AM   #14
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

When I first had my license I didn't dare driving with my parents. In fact, my mom almost caused me to have an accident. I was doing my thing, and at the same time, she was yelling in my ear about what I should do. In panic, I nearly slammed the car into a traffic jam at 120 km/h.

Fortunately, it's all good now. They finally trust me.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 06:53 AM   #15
MaLink
Purple Turtle Monster
Triforce Legend

I'm lucky to have had only one parent be the freak out section. My mom was a very nervous person when I first started and I was driving horribly because she was acting like your dad.

Fortunately, my dad is the coolest cat around. I made sure he was the one who took me driving because he never freaked out; only pointed out a mistake here or there quietly. I also drive similar to the way my dad does and in the long run, I think I've become a better driver, probably the second best in my family.

My two sisters, however, both learned from my mom. It's been three years since the first sister got her license and she's still very weak at it. Driving down a road she's never been on is unthinkable, and I don't think she's even been on a highway. My other sister is... well... the dents in the car come from her.

I admit that I've been in an accident before-- but that was because I was driving normally and hit some black ice... and there happened to be a 30ft ditch for me to roll into. Not really due to bad driving, I promise.

Anyway, my brother just got his license, and he's fairly good at it as well. Guess who he learned from-- me and my dad.

MORAL OF THE STORY: How you drive depends greatly on who you have with you!

Good luck, SZF. Don't let your parents push you around while you drive.
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 08:49 AM   #16
Pinflan_Jinglewit
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Pinflan_Jinglewit

I remember the first time I drove my dad. He never sits in the the passenger seat, so he thought I was crazy to right side of the road when in fact if I went anymore to the left like he told me too I'd be driving on the wrong side of the road.

Next time your dad starts acting like that, just tell him to shut up and let you drive.

Last edited by Pinflan_Jinglewit; Aug. 28, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Pinflan_Jinglewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 10:52 AM   #17
f
a.k.a. Fuzzy
Silver Legend

xD My dad always freaks out when I drive with him. I can be a mile away from a car that's stopped at a light and he'll be tell me I'm going to fast or I'm not stopping fast enough.... >>; "Dad, we're not even near that car." This all coming from the man who learned to drive from my grandfather (a pilot) and uses one foot on the gas and the other on the brake. i'd like to see him make a smooth stop for once

But whenever I get in the car with him, I'm always yelling that he doesn't know how to drive and that he's lost the right to correct my driving....

☆。・゜゜・。★゜・。。・゜☆。・゜゜★。・゜゜・。☆゜・。。・゜★
f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 12:13 PM   #18
Majoraslayer
Global Moderator
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Majoraslayer Send a message via MSN to Majoraslayer Send a message via Yahoo to Majoraslayer

My parents don't even ride with me that often, but they still criticize me for going too fast in parking lots and going into turns too fast. I've not wrecked anything yet, but they still tell me I'm going to. Everyone else who rides with me claims they feel safer with me than most people.

--- --- --- ---
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 12:35 PM   #19
Legend of Shadow
Party in a bag
Gold Legend

I'm thinking that my parents are right the opposite at this point

I went with my dad to learn my driving. He never freaked out, and when we were trying to get in traffic he told me to floor it and run the last second of a yellow light. Next time both my parents were in the car and the same scenario happened, after which my dad turned to me and said, "And thats what you should NOT do if your mom is in the car." We all laughed

But every time I drive with my parents and they do something not that... legal they just turn to me and say, "And thats something you should not do if you're driving!" And we always laugh

But yeah, my parents never freaked out when I was driving, possibly my mom but she had good reason to freak out when that Mitsubishi almost merged my way straight into me. Talk about some road rage

Legend of Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 28, 2007, 03:36 PM   #20
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to prooker Send a message via Skype™ to prooker

my parents do the same thing with me. seriously if i wore earplugs, i would most certainly drive better.

but then again i have me asian parents.

we all know they can't drive in the first place.